Back in July we uncovered a corridor mosaic at Chedworth Villa, Glos. It was made up of thousands of little stone cubes (of course) and quite a lot of brick ones. What a life, cutting cubes of stone. Perhaps the apprentices did it before they got involved in the more creative side
The mosaic had been worn and broken 1600-1700 years ago. There was obviously not much money around at the time because they just filled in the gaps with loose stone cubes, bits of stone and pot and then covered it with pink mortar.
One thing we notice when cleaning the loose cubes is that you can always see which way up the floor surface was. It is worn by Roman foot fall and cleaning. The bottom is marked by the cream mortar the mosaic maker pushed it into and the fixing grout can be seen as a pink mortar staining the upper edges.
Cut the stone, fix in the cream mortar, assemble the mosiac, finish with pink grout, use clean and wear, erode break and patch. Abandon, rediscover and excavate 1864, rebury for 148 years and place in a finds tray in 2012.